Fruit Focus launch - unique new nematode products provide up to 95% natural insect pest control22-Jun-2017
UK based biotechnology company Bionema is officially launching its unique new UK nematode pest control product, which boasts 20% more efficiency and up to 95% kill rates, at this year's 'Fruit Focus' in Kent in July.
The key message to leading commercial fruit growers at the showcase event is that natural pest control makes even more sense now, as traditional pesticides are losing their efficiency - and many are being delisted.
There are three specific products for the control of vine weevil and western flower thrips which are particularly relevant to soft fruit growers:
- NemaTrident® H contains a naturally occurring entomopathogenic nematode - (Heterorhabditis bacteriophora) for control of black vine weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) larvae and for maximum efficacy is applied with a unique soil conditioner for better performance. This new biological pest control product is safe, sustainable and provides 90-95% kill rates for vine weevil larvae control at temperatures as low as 12ºC – making it one of the most effective and versatile products currently available.
- NemaTrident® CT is even more versatile, and is cold tolerant at temperatures as low as 8°C. It uses naturally occurring entomopathogenic nematode (Heterorhabditis downesi) to combat vine weevil as well as Large pine weevil (Hylobius abietis), and Citrus longhorn beetle (Anoplophora chinensis) with the same kill rates.
- NemaTrident® F contains a different species of nematode known as Steinernema feltiae for the control of Western flower thrips (Frankliniella occidentalis) pupae and Leafminer (Chromatomyia syngenesiae, Phytomyza vitalbae). It provides from 70-90% kill rates down to 8ºC.
"Many of the traditional chemical products growers are all too familiar with have already been withdrawn, a large percentage of which had become ineffective in any event due to insect developing tolerance and immunities to the active agents. The restrictions in use come as part of a programme of reducing the risk to food contamination," said Dr Minshad Ansari, Managing Director of the Swansea University based research and development company.
The first range of products, developed by the company after extensive testing, NemaTrident® is a three component solution which provides maximum dispersal into soil or growing media where microscopic nematodes boost pest control through an extended growing season.
The NemaTrident® range comprises different species of naturally occurring, beneficial entomopathogenic nematodes within the Heterorhabditis and Steinernema genera.
The three main components comprising the NemaTrident® solution are:
- Infective juvenile EPN’s
- Soil Conditioner
- Comprehensive Back Up & Support
The NemaTrident® three component solution provides protection against a wide range of agricultural, horticultural and forestry pests, ultimately increasing yields and improving plant growth for effective and sustainable agriculture.
"The novel package is aimed at maximising profits and keeping down costs," said Dr Ansari, a leading expert in bio-control with more than 20 years of research experience. "We have field results showing that the product itself is incredibly effective, and through our full training, support and knowledge transfer to operators we can ensure the best possible results."
Specific nematode products for specific problems include:
- NemaTrident® CT (cold tolerant) and NemaTrident® H - vine weevil control (Horticulture)
- NemaTrident® C - Chafer grub control (Turf and amenity)
- NemaTrident® L - Leatherjacket control (Grassland and amenity)
- NemaTrident® S - Sciarid larvae control (Mushroom growers)
- NemaTrident® T - Codling moth control (fruit trees)
- NemaTrident® F - Western flower thrip control (soft fruit and flowers)
Our field trials over the last two years in the horticultural and forestry sectors included different nematode species. Our unique approach provided 20-30% better results than existing products in the market - delivering up to 99% kill rate,” said Dr Ansari. "With our new product portfolio, Bionema provides organic growers with complete chemical free pest solutions which will reduce costs and increase yields."
NemaTrident® is available to professional growers in the UK and EU through dedicated distributors and direct through Bionema. For more information; see www.bionema.com