Managing Director, Hugh Lowe Farms
Hugh Lowe Farms started in 1893 when Bernard Champion arrived in Mereworth with an ambition to become a leading fruit grower. Wild strawberries flourished in the local woods so he planted his first crop that year. He needed fruit for the family stall in Covent Garden market, which his older brothers ran. There have only been three ‘guvnors’ since then – following Bernard, his grandson, Hugh Lowe, who took over in 1955 – and his daughter, Marion Regan who now owns and runs it with husband Jon Regan.